Thanks for visiting Electro Optics.

You're trying to access an editorial feature that is only available to logged in, registered users of Electro Optics. Registering is completely free, so why not sign up with us?

By registering, as well as being able to browse all content on the site without further interruption, you'll also have the option to receive our magazine (multiple times a year) and our email newsletters.

Rofin-Sinar acquires large share of m2k

Share this on social media:

Rofin-Sinar Laser has acquired 80 per cent of the common stock of m2k-laser, in a cash transaction. The remaining 20 per cent is still held by the Fraunhofer Gesellschaft and two former founders, including Dr Marc Kelemen, who will be the managing director.

Despite the acquisition, m2k will continue to operate as a stand-alone company. ‘Being part of a larger company opens up new resources to enhance the development of cutting edge technology in our field,' said Dr Kelemen

Under two separate additional agreements, Rofin-Sinar will pay for information on manufacturing techniques and for the use of the existing infrastructure of the Fraunhofer IAF Institute in Freiburg. The move is hoped to increase Rofin-Sinar’s range of products and strengthen its position in the components market.

m2k-laser was founded in 2001 as a spin-off of the Fraunhofer Institute of Applied Solid-State Physics and develops and manufactures GaAs and GaSb semiconductor lasers for scientific research.