SPIE 2008 President, Kevin Harding announced the recent election results at the Annual General Meeting of the Society, held on 12 August 2008, in San Diego, California. The terms will begin on 1 January 2009.
The 2009 society officers are:
- Maria J Yzuel was elected as the 2009 president. Yzuel is a professor with the Department of Physics, Group of Optics, Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona (UAB), Spain.
- Ralph B James was elected as the 2009 President Elect. James is programme manager and senior scientist for the Brookhaven National Laboratory.
- Katarina Svanberg was elected as the 2009 Vice President. Svanberg is professor of oncology and chief physician in oncology at Lund University, Lund, Sweden.
- Brian A Lula was elected by SPIE members to serve as the 2009 Secretary/Treasurer. Lula is the president and CEO of PI Physik Instrumente.
The newly-elected society directors, who will serve for a three-year term from 2009 to 2011, are:
- Jennifer K Barton: associate professor/tissue optics lab director at the University of Arizona.
- Bahram Javidi: distinguished professor, University of Connecticut.
- Upendra N Singh: chief technologist, NASA Langley Research Center.
- Hugo Thienpont: director of research, Vrije University Brussel.
And the appointed director, again serving for the 2009-2001 three-year term is Donis G Flagello; ASML fellow for ASML US.